Open Enrollment & Transfer Information
LDISD accepts OPEN ENROLLMENT transfers for Resident and Non-Resident students. Transfers are considered on a case-by-case basis and require District approval. Criteria for approval includes academic history, discipline, attendance, and passing all sections of the most recent STAAR or other recognized test if STAAR is not available (kindergarten, second grade, private schools, parochial schools or home schools).
LDISD will accept applications for grade levels K-12th based on campus capacity. The number of openings for transfer students is limited. Transfer applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis. There will NOT be a tuition fee for out-of-district students for the current school year; however, this waiver will be reviewed in successive years. To assure the most accurate student enrollment counts by grade level, open enrollment transfer applications will not receive approval notice until the first week of June.
Completed applications will be accepted beginning April 1st until school capacity is reached each year. The applications will then be reviewed by an administrator in the office of Student Services and by the campus Principal to determine final placement. Parents will be notified electronically of the status of the application. Once the application has been approved by both the campus Principal and Student Services, the parent should make a copy of the approval and call the individual campus to make arrangements for registration.
All students who are outside the campus attendance boundaries must reapply and qualify annually. Any student may be denied at any time based on violations against the student code of conduct, excessive tardies, late pick-up or attendance from the previous school year. If a K-5 application is denied based on campus/program capacity, the office of Student Services will assist the parent with options in choosing a campus that has available capacity.
Any student who requests and accepts a transfer to a school other than the one in his or her home attendance area shall be required to provide his or her own transportation to and from school.
- The Superintendent or designee will declare schools open or closed for students transfers based on campus capacity, special circumstances, and/or other administrative considerations.
- The process of selection is on a first-come, first-served basis for students who meet the Limited Open Enrollment criteria.
- All applications for transfer are required to meet all of the following standards:
- The student must have at least 95% attendance for the previous semester and the last grading period (six or nine weeks depending on school grading periods).
- The student must have passed all portions of his/her latest state mandated test/assessment exam. Students from home school, private school or non-accredited school will be administered a District test in which the student must score in the 70th percentile or above.
- After review of a properly completed application, first year students from outside LDISD will be required to provide copies of grades, attendance, and test scores from the previous grading period and semester as well as any pertinent documentation related to Student Services needed. The campus Principal or designee may request to meet with the parents and student prior to open enrollment approval.
- If a student has special needs or services, the specialized staff and space capacity will be considered to determine approval.
- Placements will not be made on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, disability, or national origin.
- Siblings of current Limited Open Enrollment students will be considered for enrollment following the same criteria.
- Factors that will be considered in approving Open Enrollment transfers include but are not limited to: building capacity, current program or campus enrollment, growth projections, grade level enrollments, teacher allocations, professional staff allocations, and the student's academic, behavior, and attendance history.
A student who becomes a non-resident during the course of a grading period may be permitted to continue for the remainder of the nine week grading period. Prior to the end of the grading period, parents may request an Open Enrollment transfer application if the student qualifies and space is available. If approved, the student may remain at the campus as long as he/she meets the criteria in the same manner as other transfer students.
The following campus grade levels are no longer accepting Open Enrollment Transfer students due to grade level capacity.
Lake Dallas High School
Lake Dallas Elementary
*Only 3rd and 4th Grade are accepting transfers*
*All other grade levels are at capacity*