Google Accounts for All
All high school parents:
We have set up filtered Gmail accounts for all of our students to enable them to take advantage of all that Google has to offer. If your child already has a gmail account, they will have to sign on to the one we provide in order to drop assignments to teachers, collaborate with other students and use Google Docs.
We are excited to offer Google Apps as it represents an important step towards developing a 21st century approach to curriculum and learning. These tools will support the high levels of collaboration that are required in today’s classroom to prepare students with the communication and collaboration skills they’re going to need.
What’s included in Google Apps?
- Gmail gives 7.5+ Gigabytes of email storage with extra security provided by Postini. Voice and video chat are also built-in for free computer-to-computer calling.
- Google Calendar lets you create and share school or class calendars and events.
- Google Docs lets you create and share documents, spreadsheets, presentations, drawings, and forms. You can also upload any file to Google Docs and share it with others.
- Google Sites makes it easy to collect, share, and publish all types of content in a single website through easy embeds of Google Docs, Calendars, videos and other media without HTML.
- Also included are Google Groups for mailing lists, discussion groups, and broad sharing, Google Video for domain-limited video distribution, as well as other tools that can be added on to the domain.
What are the benefits of Google Apps and what’s included?
- Anytime, anywhere access - Google Apps works in any browser on any computer, which means you can access your email, calendars, and documents from school or at home.
- No flash drives required with documents and files stored in Google Docs.
- Students can easily collaborate with students from other classes, buildings, schools, districts or even different countries, working together on group projects.
- Teachers can be involved throughout the whole assignment process providing comments and feedback directly in the documents.
- Students can develop an e-portfolio of work throughout their years at the school.
- Through websites, calendars, and email, parents can stay informed about the latest assignments and activities.
We are excited to be bringing these tools to all of the LDHS student body. Don’t hesitate to call or email at the provided address or phone number below if you have any questions about Google Apps for Education.