- Each year, students are nominated to apply for NJHS based on their GPA from the FALL SM1 (Fall 22 semester). Students not enrolled for the full FALL Semester are not eligible to qualify.
- Averages are calculated from the 4 core subjects and that average must be a FIRM 92 (not rounded).
- Students will have the opportunity to submit an application.
- Students must maintain a passing average in those core classes during the application process.
- Once applications are turned in, teacher evaluations are requested for those students.
- If a student is invited to join, there is an induction ceremony in late April.
- Inductees MUST maintain the 92 average throughout the Spring 2023 Semester. Grades are checked every 9 weeks.
Additionally, potential members must meet high standards of scholarship, leadership, service, citizenship, and character as shown throughout the year.Scholarship means a commitment to learning. A student is willing to spend hours reading and studying, knowing the lasting benefits of a cultivated mind.Service is defined as the voluntary contribution(s) made by a student to the school or community, done without compensation and with a positive, courteous, and enthusiastic spirit.Leadership is based on the student’s participation in community or school activities, or election to an office. To meet the service requirement, the student must have been active in at least one or more service projects in the school and community or have demonstrated a willingness to do so.Citizenship is measured by the student’s participation in civic-related organizations and/or activities demonstrated in the classroom.Character is measured in terms of integrity, behavior, ethics, and cooperation with both students and faculty.Students submit an application after being notified of their pre-qualifying GPA and complete it based on sections of Co-curricular activities, leadership roles, service roles, community activities & work experience. Applications are evaluated based on the thoroughness of the application.Students who submit a completed application by the deadline are compiled. Those students´ teachers then evaluated them in the areas of LEADERSHIP, SCHOLARSHIP, SERVICE, CITIZENSHIP & CHARACTER with a score of 1 to 5 (1 being the lowest, 5 being the highest). Teachers may have additional comments to support their evaluations.Students who have received ISS (in-school suspension) and referrals to admin will not be considered for admittance. Students with detentions (depending on how many) may not be considered.Students who are found to be participating in any sort of academic dishonesty will not be considered for membership. Students are screened by a Faculty Council consisting of six members of the faculty chosen by the principal.
Members of NJHS have levels of commitment, levels of expectations, and specific requirements of community service throughout the year. Please see the 'home' page to learn about those.
If a student meets the minimum GPA requirement, they will be contacted.
- MARCH 20th: Initially, students (& parents/guardians on file in Skyward) who meet that criterion will receive an email.
- After the initial contact, all other deadlines/communications after this date will be the student's responsibility & will be through Gmail or a DIGITAL CANVAS Classroom from then on)
- In that email, they will be invited to complete a DIGITAL APPLICATION through a Google Form.
- In that digital classroom, there is a link to complete the digital NJHS application by March 31, 2023 (at 11:59 pm).
No late or incomplete applications will be accepted.
Notification of acceptance or declination will be sent out via LDISD GMAIL Student accounts on Friday, April 28, 2023.
If you have any questions about it, please contact Mrs. Baird, the NJHS Adviser via email at:
For those ACCEPTED, there is a special induction ceremony on TUESDAY, May 16, 2023, @ 6 pm in the LDMS cafeteria.
- If your child is being inducted, please drop them the MS no later than 5:30 pm.
- There they will receive a certificate & a contract to return.
- Our ceremony is a special night honoring those who were selected for membership.
- We encourage you to invite your immediate & family. An RSVP is needed too.
- It will last about 40 minutes.
After the Induction Ceremony, ALL CONTRACTS and Dues are to be submitted by May 19, 2023 (Friday)
No late contracts/Dues are accepted.
Your membership in NJHS will end if you do not turn in the required documents/dues by the date/time.