LDMS Front Office
When Your Child is Absent
Please call the Middle School and let us know that your child will be absent on that day
Send in or email a detailed note for your child's absences to the Attendance Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Our phone number is 940 497-4037
STUDENTS MUST ATTEND SCHOOL EVERYDAY - IT’S THE LAW!
Any child at the age of 6 by September 1st must attend school until his or her 18th birthday. On enrollment in Pre-Kindergarten or Kindergarten, a child must attend school.
WHAT’S A “NON-ATTENDANCE” STUDENT?
A student who has THREE or more days, or parts of days, unverified absences in a 4 week time period or TEN or more days, or parts of days, unverified absences in a 6 month time period is determined “non-attendance”.
WHAT HAPPENS IF A STUDENT IS IN “NON-ATTENDANCE”?
Parents are subject to prosecution for “Contributing to Non-Attendance”.
WHAT IS AN “UNEXCUSED” ABSENCE?
An unexcused absence is an absence that does not fall within the state or district guidelines. (See excused absences) An unexcused absence also occurs when the parent cannot produce any document that explains the absence or they present documentation that doesn’t meet district criteria.
WHAT IS AN “EXCUSED” ABSENCE?
The following are approved district absences (if documented):
- Medical Illness (after three consecutive days or habitual absences, students must have documentation from a medical professional)
- Board approved extracurricular activities
- Medical appointments, screenings, etc.
- Juvenile or other court proceedings
- Absences required by state or local welfare authorities
- Death and/or serious illness of a family member
- Religious Holy days
- Weather and road conditions that make traveling dangerous